Sunday 10 April 2011

Now in Dubai

So here we are living in the big Metropolitan city of Dubai. the U.A.E.
how could that be, we left in 2004, went to Canada for a year and a half, 6 school years in Bahrain, and here we are back yet again. I say that not as a surprise but a pleasant thrill. I was very sad when we left and so excited to be back.

We have been here for three weeks now, the kids have managed there way perfectly well with out any glitches. Very proud of them as moving into a new school and being the new kids can be challenging to say the least in many schools. They have found great new friends and reunited with old friends.
We spent the first two weeks with the Hurlbuts one of our oldest family friends. Don't ask how old O.K., They put up with us for the duration, and when we left, we were sad to go.  Big thanks to Margaret and Jim, for loaning us the use of your home during our transition time.
 I was looking for a temporary apartment. One with everything form dishes to linens. I don't know how, but everything in Dubai was fully booked.
Looking around this fabulous city, you ask yourself how is that possible, with all the sky scrappers that there wouldn't be a 4 bedroom furnished apartment available. I think a lot of it has to do with the unrest in the Middle East, there seem to be many refugees out and about from Egypt, Libya, Bahrain....
Paper work signed, and a key was handed to me with the numbers 1004 on the key ring.  Off we went up the escalators with our suitcase each, and my camera gear...
bags of school uniforms. Up 10 floors to a beautiful view over the Dubai Marina. Wow what a view.

Thought you might like to see what our view is like! I was very impressed, by Day and Night. 



During my 3 weeks here I have been hunting for houses. It has been a bit of a challenge. I am sure I have looked at possibly 60+houses. Always something just not right...  I was starting to think I was being possibly a bit picky. ( I had my self convinced that it had to be perfect, especially if your in it for 5 years). So the search seemed endless. Then oneday I walked into this  house and said, I could live here. It isn't a huge home or anything really special, just right for us, with a big kitchen space that is the centre of our home.  Ready for Miranda's baking with a good centre Isle. An office big enough for my camera gear, and a small studio. Double garage, for maybe a bigger studio, have to pass that one by Dave still. (Just an idea).

My big question I ask myself every time we move, is what do I want to do? I would really like to continue on with my photography, but doing what? What will be my niche? Should I steer my career toward fashion, weddings, school portraits, real-estate? There is such opportunity here in this grand City. I guess time will tell. I think at this point and time, I will bring my camera with me everywhere I go and see where my lens leads me.
I have a huge desire to get out into the desert with a team Simone the make up artist, hair artist still in search for and a few designers.
So onward I search,
For now my photos will be of sky lines and my family photos in Dubai.
Thanks,
Jacqueline Kent

1 comment: