Thursday 10 February 2011

Photo shoot with Veronica Lynn Designs

Veronica Lynn Designs
&
Jacqueline Kent Photography.com

Hornby Island, B.C.
Canada

                                                                                                                                                                    It all started a couple summer's ago when I was on annual trip to one of the beautifulest places in the world. We go there every summer to visit my parents.



I have been visiting Hornby island since I was 17. 
It is one of the most creative, relaxing, interesting friendly places I have ever been.
At the market I met this young designer named Veronica Lynn, she had some of the most amazing one off dresses I had ever seen. I had this idea since I travel with my two daughters (whom model)
 to do a shoot with her fashions.
I asked her if she was interested, and she was thrilled at the idea. Timing was our biggest issue that summer, and before we knew it summer was over and the idea never came too.
I was so inspired by this young woman's creative ideas and imagination I would think of her throughout the year. She had one incredible detailed black evening dress that I fell in love with it, it had little pebbles wrapped in tulle and knotted around the neck line, it looked so regal.  
The following summer when we arrived on Hornby I went to the market first thing to see if she still had the black dress with the pebbles. I was very disappointed when she didn't have it hanging on her clothing rack, and was overjoyed when she told me it was at home. 
So the project was planned.
I had ideas where I wanted to go with each dress she had designed as each dress made a statement and was such a strong visual I thought I would play along to push the concept a little farther. 
My daughter Miranda with her flaming red hair, naturally curly was with me at the time, so she was my travel model. We started at about 1 o'clock in the afternoon and tucked into the forest to get out of the direct sun. To light this shoot, I used a golden reflector, and two sb-800 nikon flashes. As traveling with lights is a bit cumbersome, and in a situation like this there is so much light, a bounce is all that is needed. 
Miranada's skin is very pale and with the golden reflector created some nice sun kissed effects when needed. 
In the forest there were giant ferns and viola the forest nymph was born.


On Hornby Island they have a free store. Yes, it is the neatest place to visit. Everything is free. Saying that everything is someone else's discardable s. 
The Center recycles everything from plastic, cardboard, old gas bottle tanks, pretty much anything that people discard can be found there. Paint, Hornby paint we call it, everyone brings their left over paint and it all goes into one barrel, it varies from a light grey to a darkish grey!
Even the compost has a system, it would be normal to see a couple deer feeding at the compost spot. 
Some of Veronicas designs are pieces of fabric, or parts of a trim, that she incorporates into her designs. 
She has some of the most unique and creative dresses as you can see looking through this selection. 
Sometimes you might find a bone or a seashell, stones or feathers! 















The dress below is the one that 
inspired me to do the shoot
I included a close up of the neck line so you can see how intricate the work is. 


This last group of




                                                                   photos were taken

as the sun was setting. 
Its a little area called 
Fords Cove. 
A beautiful scenic place as the shore is made with sand stone and as the years of storm have worn down the shore line there are so many interesting patterns and moonscapes. The photo on the left was taken with just the natural sun a beautiful warm glow on the skin. The image on the right I took my settings from the sky then light Miranda with one flash. 






The last shot was my favorite for the day, We decided to call it Medusa.  The sun had just gone down, yet there was still a lot of ambient light available. I photographed this with two flashes, shot at 1/320th of a second, (high speed sync) as I was trying to control the ambient light, there were people sitting behind Miranda watching and I wanted to keep the light on her and the rocks. Not on the audience watching. The aperture setting f/8 and I had the flash's set on zoom, so the light would hit her hard and keep the texture in the stone and the dress.  Arron, lighting assistant was standing just out of the frame of the photo to the left.






This is the young man that helped me out for the shoot. He has great desire to work as a photographer in Canada, very keen to learn.
If you ever have the desire to go to Vancouver island, I highly recommend Hornby Island for a visit.
But be careful you will fall in love with the place and the people.
This is a link to Veronicas site, if you feel the need for something unique.

http://veronicalynndesigns.com/artwork/1627313_Photo_shoot.html





3 comments:

  1. Beautifully laid out story. Thank you for sharing this experience. Rawia

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the comment, i am hoping to get more blogging done when I get settled into Dubai. Is there anything in photography that you would like to know more about that I could blog about?
    Thanks,
    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  3. great pictures and very nicely written.

    http://haroldphotography.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete